Pages

December 20, 2009

workin in a winter wonderland

Tis the season to be jolly... and we have reason to as we are getting going on our -fourth year in a row- wintertime home building project.  It's a smallish home out in the West Danby area of New york.  Easy to build -compared with other recent projects.
As I have said before, I like building in the winter.  The way I look at it, if I can't be cross country skiing, out playing hockey on the frozen pond or just gazing at snowy mountains across the valley from my cozy wood fired hot tub unfortunately I no longer have one, I can at least go to work out in the snow and cold.  Crazy right.  Well maybe, but seriously i have always been a lover of winter.  As i kid growing up in Seattle where snow was more of a treat than a regualr visitor, I used to stand at the front windows for what must have been hours looking to the sky for that first snow flake.  I'm not so different now tho i use the NOAA radar page to help know just when to look out the window.  These days as a father of two and breadwinner for the family, I must go to work on days I might rather be skiing, and although it has its unpleasant moments, working in the snow and cold does something for my mind and body that is hard to acheive in more normal work envirnoments.  Frankly I like the bracing wind on my face, the crunch of snow on the ground, the colbalt blue sky, the threat of snowfall in the air. 

Here in central New york Lake effect snow is always a possibility-bright and sunny one moment, a white-out the next, and back again.   Of course outdoor work goes a bit more slowly in the winter and one has to be more careful when climbing around on ice covered rafters and ladders, but when it come to feeling alive and well while at work, send me out in the winter weather. 
Okay its only December, we'll see how I feel come march.

No comments:

Creative Constructions

Creative Constructions
click on image to go to website