Pages

June 20, 2009

in a pinch, a cedar shim can serve you lunch

The other day while eating lunch at work I made an interesting discovery.
I had just reached the "yogurt stage" of lunch- that's what we jokingly refer to as, the wind up of lunch break, the point where if you have a yogurt for desert, you savor it lovingly before putting the tool belt back on... (perhaps ya had to be there)...Anyway, On this day, I didn't seem to have a plastic spoon in my lunch bucket to enjoy the fruity refresher I had before me. But this was not too unusual an event. And, when I am with out utensil, I often will grab an unused cedar shim from our supplies and carry on just fine ~ thank you very much . This time however, Rod, offered me his just used "greasy spoon" for the job. I accept thankfully, but notice that the spoon he had passed me was one I had lent him over a year earlier! How do I know this? Because it was a unique spoon that came from my son's second birthday party--- and he's three now! The spoon is red and has Lightning McQueen on it....not something just anyone has in their silverware drawer. When I pointed this out to Rod with an "ah ha!" he said, "well, how do you know for sure it's your spoon..." I said "c'mon Rod where else are you going to get a red plastic kid's spoon, with Lightning McQueen on it- He responded in his best kid voice,"Well, I like cars too you know!"
Of course it was just a silly, light moment on an otherwise mostly hard working jobsite, but it struck me later as telling about our closeness as a team and how well we work together...etc etc.

Okay, I guess you probably had to be there :')

No comments:

Creative Constructions

Creative Constructions
click on image to go to website